One popular TV show is paying attention to electronic election rigging. A recent episode of "The Good Wife" on CBS (Episode 19) turns on a remote hack of tabulators just before an election. In this short clip of a Board of Canvasser's hearing, a technician is forced to recant his testimony and admit that vote tabulators were hacked.
Not likely, you say? Michigan's Bureau of Elections seems to agree with you, but they are very seriously wrong. Some of the overwhelming evidence is recounted below. For more depth, see MERA's Books resources as well.
On-line Articles and Reports
- Securing Your Vote
Overview by MERA State Coordinator, Jan Bendor. PowerPoint presentation (.ppt). February, 2009.
Our Election System is Broken. Can the New Congress Fix It? An introduction to
voting systems security by Warren Stewart.
- How to Rig an Election By Victoria Collier. Harpers 2012.
- Computerized Vote Rigging Is Still the Unseen Threat to US Democracy By Victoria Collier. Truthout 2014.
Peering Through Chinks in the Armor of High-Tech Elections By Pokey Anderson,
VotersUnite.org. Thoroughly readable, well researched and documented, in-depth account
of security issues of electronic voting systems currently in use. Conclusion argues for
hand counting paper ballots on election night.
The Machinery of Democracy: Protecting Elections in an Electronic World
The Brennan Center's systematic analysis of security vulnerabilities in the three most
commonly purchased electronic voting systems. 162 pp.
- EDR: Securing the Vote: An Analysis of Election Fraud By Lori Minnite, Policital Science, Barnard College and David Callahan, Director of Research, Demos. 2003.
Confidence in U.S. Elections A report by the Carter-Baker Commission on Federal
Commentaries and Critiques: www.carterbaker.com
- Hackable With a Smartphone: Virginia Finally Dumps 100% Unverifiable 'AVS WINVote' System Virginia's 100% unverifiable touch-screen voting systems are also 100% hackable.
- Computerized Vote Counting: The Hole in United States' Political Bucket Jonathon D. Simon reviews the widely shared blindspot regarding the core vulnerability of the American vote counting process.
- Diebold TSx Evaluation: Critical Security
Issues with Diebold TSx
Prepared by Finnish Security Expert Harri Hursti for Black Box Voting.
- The Landes Report: to Congress on Voting. January 15, 2007
- Federal Efforts to
Improve Security and Reliability of Electronic Voting Systems Are Under
Way, but Key Activities Need to Be Completed USGAO
Audio/Video Segments, DVDs & Photos
- Protecting Democracy Produced and narrated by Russ Michaels, who also made Hacking Democracy.
- Hacking Democracy Broadcast on HBO throughout November and December 2006, the documentary exposes the dangers of voting machines
used during America's mid-term and presidential elections.
- On Diebold Electronic Voting Machines By Stephen Spoonamore, former CEO of Cybrinth. October 15, 2006.
Uncounted: The New Math of American Elections
A feature length documentary by David Earnhardt. June, 2008. How the
election fraud that changed the outcome of the 2004 election led to
even greater fraud in 2006 - and now looms as an unbridled threat to
the outcome of the 2008 election.
- Dan Rather Reports "The Trouble with Touch
Screens" DVD #227. August, 2007. From scientists involved in
testing the equipment, to manufacturers in third world countries who shipped these defective
voting machines to the United States, Dan Rather Reports presents new information showing
that these defective machines may have altered the outcome of multiple elections.
- Jonathan Simon radio interview by Tony Trupiano, Part I. Part II. Part III. Simon is the author of Code Red: Computerized Election Theft and The New American Century: POST - E2014 Edition.
- Photo Demonstration Hack: Bypassing the seal on a Diebold AV-OS in Michigan By Michael-David BenDor. MERA.
- Demonstration Diebold Hack Equad News 19:1 p.2.
September 14, 2006. Princeton Computer Scientist Edward Felten and two graduate students describe how they tested a
Diebold AccuVote-TS machine, found ways to quickly upload malicious programs and even developed a computer virus able to spread such programs between machines.
- Block the Vote September 2, 2006. PBS “Now.”
- Down for the Count September 9, 2006. PBS “Now.”
A two part series from NOW on threats to our voting system. Includes footage on problems in Michigan.
- Brave New Ballot September 9, 2006. NPR, Diane Rehm.
Avi Rubin (Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University) discusses his 2003 report on
serious security flaws in electronic voting machines, the controversy it stirred up,
and the state of electronic voting security as elections approach.